FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
| This is a help page about playing on EarthMC.
Welcome to the EarthMC Wiki FAQ page!
Links to the major EarthMC Help pages are shown on top, followed by more FAQ below.
IMPORTANT: Please be familiar with the EarthMC Rules to avoid being banned forever. Read the Special Section on EarthMC Rules below.
Official EarthMC Documentation Page
EarthMC now has an official EarthMC Documentation page to help new players get started!
- How to join
- Live map
- How to Create a Town
- How to Claim Land
- How to Create a Nation
- Custom Crafting Recipes
- Server Rules
Click here to see the page.
The EarthMC Getting Started Page
How to join EarthMC
- run Minecraft Java edition
- enter the ip address Play.EarthMC.net
- visit the Discord server discord.gg/TFVYpWQ
Frequently Asked Questions (in the Getting Started page)
- What should I do after joining?
- How do I join a town?
- How do I claim land?
- How to get gold?
- Can I join EarthMC with Minecraft PE or Bedrock? no
- What is the EarthMC IP address? play.earthmc.net
- Can I teleport on EarthMC?
- What is the server version? 1.16.4
- What is the EarthMC discord link? discord.gg/TFVYpWQ
- What is EarthMC Classic?
- Is there an EarthMC map download? no
- How do I leave a town?
- Can I play the server with a "cracked" account? no
- How to view the EarthMC map
- Shows the Premium commands
- Cheating, server exploits and alternative accounts
- Behavior and chat
- How and where do I appeal my punishment?
- How do I report a player breaking the rules?
- Who is a player and who does the rules apply to?
- How do I report issues or make a suggestion for the rules?
- Who are the server staff?
- Useful links:
The Official EarthMC FAQ page or faq (*top right of Getting Started page")
See EarthMC FAQ for the following:
- Will you transfer data from an account to another account of mine?
- How do I apply for moderator?
- How do I switch between chat channels? (global, town, nation, party) (Spanish, French, Chinese, Russian, Turkish)
- Voted but didn't receive gold?
- How to Link Minecraft to Discord
- Why is my Town Deleted?
- What are the Server McMMO Settings?
(This page can be reached from the top right of the Getting Started page)
Guide to Getting Started on EarthMC
See Guide to Getting Started on EarthMC by Neon_Krby (Krby).
It contains the following info:
- The EarthMC Map scale
- How to join and go to a town
- Town plot size and how to view chunk borders
- How to make your own town
- How to create your own nation
- Benefits of being in a nation
- Staying safe in EarthMC
- Links to EarthMC wiki, Towny commands, Discord, Reddit
Other helpful pages
- McMMO Wiki See EarthMC FAQ for the EarthMC server settings.
- How Towny Works
- Towny Commands
- Link to buying Queue Priority
- EarthMC Reddit
- News - EarthMC Live
- Link to join the Main EarthMC Discord server
- How to set up Discord perms
- The International Nether Transit (INT)
- EarthMC Rules
- EarthMC Custom Recipes
- EarthMC Premium Commands
Info about the EarthMC Community
These additional pages about the EarthMC community are harder to find, and some might not even know they exist:
- Wars, Battles, Conflicts
- World Records and Firsts
- Alliances (This is often out-of-date)
- Ships (mostly battleships)
What is the server IP?
If you are unable to connect, try play.earthmc.net
What version of Minecraft Java is EarthMC using?
Minecraft 1.16.x (Java)
Though you may be able to login with older versions the server, has 1.16 features.
How do I go to Minecraft version 1.16.x?
Minecraft Java is at 1.16.5 currently, you may play using Java Minecraft 1.16.x.
How to set your Minecraft Java to an older version (applicable once 1.17 comes out)
- When you open up Minecraft, do not click "Play".
- Instead, select "Installations" from the tabs on top.
- Click "+ New" on the top left. A pop up window appears.
- On the right, there should be a drop down box for all of the versions
- Select "Release 1.16.5".
- Select "Create"
- Verify on the bottom left that Minecraft 1.16.5 version is showing.
- Then press "Play"
Play EarthMC using Minecraft Realms
(I heard it's a bit sketchy, and maybe all the bugs haven't been ironed out yet.)
You can now play on EarthMC with Minecraft Realms.
- From the title screen, select "Multiplayer"
- Click "Add Server"
- Give it a name, e.g. "EarthMC"
- For the IP address put play.earthmc.net
- Click "Done"
- The EarthMC server should show up as a choice on the screen
How can I teleport around?
When you first join EarthMC Towny, you don't belong to any town so you cannot teleport (or tp) around.
You can ask to be invited to a town. Most towns belong to a nation, and if that nation has allies, you will be able to visit the nation's allies and neutral nations , even if they are all over the world.
To see the places you can visit: /n allylist
For example: /n spawn Madagascar
To go home: /t spawn or /n spawn
What is Towny?
Here is a link to the Towny wiki
What are the Towny Commands?
Here is a link to the Towny Commands . Note: You may not have permission for all the commands listed.
How do I join a town?
(do /invite to see commands)
Method 1: Find an open town and do /t join <town>. <---- this is rare
Method 2: Ask anyone to invite you to a town
- Receive an invitation to a town
- /accept <town> or
- /t invite accept <town>
Method 3: Ask a town resident
- Find a town you want to join.
- Do "/t online <town>" to see which player from that town is on.
- Ask the player in chat if they can invite you to their town.
Method 4: Ask the EarthMC community
- Look for advertisements to join a town, or ask around in the EarthMC discord
- Join a nation server in #nation-servers in the EarthMC discord. Then look for town advertisements / recruitment in that nation.
Method 5: Browse the list of advertising towns in the EarthMC discord.
- EarthMC Builders Club Discord, under the #town-ads channel.
I just joined a town. How do I go to it?
- /t spawn
- Make sure not to teleport after entering this command, or else it will cancel the teleport.
Why are there no open towns?
Recently (late 2019), a hacker created many bots and joined a lot of towns with them. That is why open towns are generally not allowed on EarthMC.
I can't see myself on the Map.
This happens when you go underground, so you are probably either under a building, a tree, or mining. You should be able to see your nametag when you can see the sky above you.
How close does a town have to be from a nation to join it?
The limit is 3000 blocks.
A town cannot be more than 3000 blocks from its nation.
How to Join a Nation
Once your town gets an invite from a nation, do this:
- /t accept invite <nation>
You can check your town stats while in town:
- /t here it should show your nation in the town info
- /n should also show your nation info
How to Create a Town
Having gold in your inventory is very dangerous, because gold is so valuable. On 27 Sep 2019, someone was killed while typing in the town creation command. Take precautions below, to minimize the chances of being robbed.
- You should start a town greater than 10 chunks away from a neighboring town.
- Precaution: Do not announce that you are going to make a town.
- Precaution: Create a small dirt umbrella at the spot which will become your town block, when you don't have the gold on you, if you know the location, you can also claim while underground.
- Bring the 64 gold at a time when the server is not too busy.
- Precaution: Look on the map to make sure nobody is nearby. Go quickly to your location.
- Precaution: When you get there, go under the small dirt umbrella and stand under it so that you are invisible on the map.
- Precaution: Look around and make sure nobody is coming.
- You need to have 64 gold in your inventory.
- Stand in the 4 blocks that will become your town block.
- /t new <town name>
Once created, a message in chat shows that someone made a town, accompanied by GG from players because that's just always what they've said.
- /t set homeblock Sets the homeblock (you can withdraw/deposit gold standing there)
- /t set spawn Sets the spawn
- /t claim Claim wilderness for town, must have 16g, claims a single chunk according to a grid (16x16 area.)
How to Give Yourself a Plot in Your Town
Give yourself a plot
- /plot fs 0 set the plot with sale price = 0
- /plot claim
How to Protect Your Town
You want to invite some players, but don't want them to open town chests.
- /t set perm off turn off all permissions in town
- /plot set perm off turn off all permissions in the plot
- /t invite <player> invite <player> to the town
How to Set Specific Permissions for residents in the town
- /resident toggle switch off don't allow residents to open chests, use switches
- /resident toggle switch on allow residents to open chests, use switches
- /resident toggle build off don't allow residents to build
- /resident toggle destroy off don't allow residents to destroy
How to Control PVP, Explosion, Fire in a plot
- /plot toggle pvp on turns on pvp in a plot (NOTE: there is a wait period before you can turn it off again)
- /plot toggle pvp off turns off pvp in a plot
- /plot toggle explosion off
- /plot toggle fire on this allows you to light a Nether portal, remember to turn fire off afterwards
How to Set Specific Permissions in each Plot
I am not sure, but I think the town perms override the plot perms. So even if you allow switch on in the plot, if the town has switch off, then the resident would not be able to open any doors or chests.
Note: After some testing, I find that the plot perms can override town perms, but only after a long time (like a few hours).
There are 4 groups and 4 permissions.
The 4 groups are friends, residents, allies, and outsiders. The 4 permissions are build, destroy, switch, and itemuse.
(Please look at Towny commands for more info.)
The command is /plot set perm <group> <permission> <on|off>
- /plot set perm resident itemuse on allow residents to use items like enchanting table, etc.
- /plot set perm ally switch off prevents allies from using switches, and opening doors/chests
How to Check Plot Perms
Residents of a town can check plot perms by walking around the town with /plot perm hud on.
Plot perm hud displays all the plot permission information in a window on the right side of your screen. You can toggle this display on and off by typing the command again.
Special Section on EarthMC Rules
It is very important to know the EarthMC Rules (aka Law of Nations).
Aside from the usual cheating, griefing, behavior, and chat rules, EarthMC also has unique rules about alt accounts, afk, advertising, selling in game things for real money, terraforming, and naming. Please read it and be familiar with the rules.
What you must know about the rules:
- Cheating is not tolerated - it will result in a forever ban e.g. flying anywhere (including in the queue lobby) is an instant ban from the server, forever
- Doxxing (giving out personal info about people) is not tolerated results in a ban (usually permanent)
- 5 warns lead to a ban from the server (that includes warns from griefing, bad behavior, racist remarks, toxicity, etc.)
- In general, if you get banned, you have only 1 chance to appeal
- Most scams are allowed, unless it occurs within 3 chunks of a nation spawn. And that includes:
- pit traps (item frame with picture on top, covering a hole in the ground
- shop scams (mayors closing your shops and taking your items)
- shop item scams (selling items named after expensive items - always inspect the item before paying)
- if you have valuable items, save them in an enderchest.
- Make shops in a town that you can trust.
- Be careful clicking on links in Discord
How to Get Help (including getting help from an EMC Mod)
Sometimes you may have more questions or need a helping hand.
- Go to the official EarthMC Support discord
- To get answers to questions ask your questions in the #quick-questions channel
- If the problem is not easily resolved, get help from a mod by opening a ticket:
- go to the #support-tickets channel
- Type -new to create a new ticket
You can make tickets to report griefing, terraforming, claimblocking, cheating, rule breakers, behavior.
Protecting Your Map Art
Several museums have had their valuable map art stolen from item frames (as of June 26, 2020), even when the plot is claimed. The art thieves used a boat glitch to pop the items out of the frame.
Prevent this kind of theft by putting a glass pane in front of your item frame, make a backup copy, or be careful where you display your valuable map art.
Sometimes, maps can disappear with a server glitch. No info if there is a way to prevent this, and it is often hard to get a refund.
Please take extra precautions:
- Make extra copies and store them someplace else.
- Put glass on the map art in a Cartography Table
- Take a picture of your maps if you have invested a lot of time on them.
Map Art Rules
Please obey Rule 2 and Rule 3.6 when making the map art
(Your map art may not contain nudity, sexual content, racist imagery or anything else that breaks any part of rule 2.)
How Do I Trade Safely?
You want to buy a beacon. It now costs over 160g and many people have been scammed. Here are some guidelines on how to make a trade safely:
Use the trade command at a neutral, safe trade location (e.g. Madagascar)
- Put your gold in an enderchest, ask to use an enderchest for the trade
- Perform the trade at a safe neutral location, for example, Madagascar
- Use the /trade command
You'll see this window pop up
type /trade Put your item in
If you're buying, click the "Not Ready" button. This turns it into a "Ready" button and the trade is complete.
How do I Make a Sign Shop?
This is how you make a sign shop:
1) You should own the plot where the shop is. The plot needs to be a shop plot.
- Set a shop plot by standing inside the chunk and typing /plot set shop
2) Place a chest.
3) Have the number of items to sell in your inventory
4) Hold the item to sell in your right hand and Right click with the items (number of items to be sold) on the chest.
Note: You cannot sell more than 64 items at a time.
For example, if you are selling 64 wood planks for 1g, click on the chest with 64 wood planks in your hand.
4) The shop plugin will ask you for the price (in gold ingots)
Type the amount in chat and the shop should be created.
For example, if you are selling 64 wood planks for 1g, type "1" in the chat
Why doesn't Fix solve problems encountered every day?
Ask specific questions in the EarthMC Support Discord. Or look for a mod.
What is the Difference between a Citizen and a Resident?
Citizens are the inhabitants of a nation, while residents are the inhabitants of a town.
What is an Embassy?
An embassy is an area located in a town that is owned by a user not inside said town, it is usually sold for gold, and is commonly a shop due to the town that the owner is in not being very visited.
As a mayor of a town, you can create an embassy
- do /plot set embassy
- and then you can sell it with /plot fs [gold amount]
You can also create shop plots, farm plots, and inn plots.
See Towny for more information.
What is the Difference between a Battle and a War?
A battle is a combat between two or more armed forces. ... Battles are between soldiers, while war is between countries or nations. Battles can be won and lost, but it may not determine the end of the War. Battles are usually short term, while wars are lengthy. (Source: Farhan Syeed on Quora)
What is the Difference between the "Politics" and "Political Party" Categories?
Politics is a category page to hold definitions and ideas (for example, Democracy, Fascism, etc.)
A Political Party is a actual political group that belongs to a location or nation.
Several Political Parties from different nations or locations can share the same ideology. But the reverse is difficult to imagine (i.e.one political party with several ideologies).
Who is Staff in EarthMC?
What can I do if EarthMC ingame chat is too annoying?
The best way is to use the Towny Commands below.
Muting a Specific Player with Towny command
- /chmute <channel> <player>
- /chunmute <channel> <player>
Muting a Specific Player with /ignore
- Caution: Not sure if /ignore can be undone easily.
- /ignore <player>. This is undone on server restart.
- To see who's being ignored: /ignorelist
Muting Everyone (several methods)
- Method 1 (best): /chmute, /chunmute
|See Towny Commands for Chat below|
- Method 2: Using Minecraft Settings (probably safer)
|Go to Minecraft Settings - Multiplayer|
|Click on "Chat Shown"|
|Set it to "Commands Only" since you can still type commands|
- Method 3: Using /mute
|You can /mute all.|
|Caution: Use at your own risk. Not sure if the reverse is /unmute all.)|
How do I talk to someone privately?
- /msg <name> <message> or click on player name in chat
Once you have a conversation going, you can just continue the chat by replying, like this:
- /r <message>
What are the Towny Commands for Chat?
(Date: May 6, 2021 /tc and /nc is down or not working)
- /tc or /townchat put in front of message to talk to town members only
- /nc or /nationchat put in front of message to talk to nation members only
- /g or /global put in front of message to speak in globalchat
- /res set mode reset reset chat mode to default chat
- /ch list list what channels a player is currently listening to
- /channel leave <channel>
- /channel join <channel>
Muting and unmuting a Player using Towny Commands
- /chmute <channel> <player> mutes a player in a channel
- /chunmute <channel> <player> unmutes a player in a channel
- /mutelist <channel> displays mute list for a channel
What are the Channels in EarthMC?
There are 9 channels in EarthMC: **
The commands are:
- /channel join <channel>
- /channel leave <channel>
- /channel switch <channel> This switches to the designated channel
- /channel mute <channel>
- /channel set <channel>
- /ch join global <-------- to go back to main chat
- /ch join chinese
- /ch join french
- /ch join russian
- /ch join spanish
- /ch join turkish
- /ch join nation
- /ch join town
- /ch join trade
- /ch join supporter
- /ch join staff
** This info was found in game
Note: If you are stuck in a chat, it may be a server problem, and that is usually fixed in a day or two.
Note: the Global channel is usually in English, but if 3 or more players speak the same foreign language, they are allowed to use the global channel to converse
The plugin is buggy, that's why no more languages are added.
However, since there is no English only channel, please use the available language channels if possible.
Örneğin, sohbette Türkçe konuşmak istiyorum
Türkçe sohbete katılmak için /ch join Turkish yazın.
Global sohbete katılmak için /ch join global yazın.
要加入中文聊天，請輸入 /ch join Chinese
要加入全局聊天，請輸入 /ch join global
Par exemple, je veux parler français dans le tchat
Veuillez utiliser /ch join french.
Pour rejoindre le tchat global, tapez /ch join global.
Inviting People to Your Nation Discord
There have sometimes been too many nation discord invitations in EarthMC general chat. This leads to disgruntled mods muting people. To avoid this happening to you, please look at the suggestions below where you may safely advertise your nation discord:
- advertise in private messages as new citizens join
- display the nation discord on a sign at your nation spawn <---- this is a great idea
- EarthMC discord (discord.gg/TFVYpWQ) has several channels for nation discord links
- #trading for businesses and organizations
- #nation-servers (if you can't add it yourself, ask a mod to add your nation for you)
- Say your nation discord in Towny chat, but please do not say it more than once every hour, or you will be muted.
Note: This is not the best method because it is hard to copy the link.
Also, DO NOT advertise other servers (not EarthMC), that will result in a ban.
- advertise where you are allowed to in other EarthMC discords
- EarthMC Live (a news discord https://invite.gg/emcl) has a channel for ads #ad-chat
Where can I ask for mod help or appeal my ban?
Ban appeals are handled over at our ban appeals discord server.
Join the EarthMC Support discord, go to #support-tickets and then type -new to open a ticket.
How do I add a Town, Nation, or Alliance Wiki Page using a Template?
Info about the new EarthMC Premium Beta (May 2020)
The new EarthMC Premium Beta showed up in the EarthMC store on May 9th 2020.
It is a subscription service to support the server, allows people higher queue priority, access to a beta server with war plugin, benefits for playing in a party/group, premium chat, and cosmetic perks. More info about premium below:
Adding to the EarthMC Fandom Wiki FAQ page
Feel free to add frequently asked questions and answers to this page.
- Make the question Heading from the drop down box.
- Then set the font to Bold.
Learn about editing the FANDOM Wiki at Fandom University.
Note on the Command Syntax on this Page
The commands you can type into Minecraft chat are bolded.
- For example, /t spawn.
The variables are not bold and are surrounded by angle brackets.
- For example, /msg <name> <message>
- Substitute <name> with player name, and <message> with your message.
- Do not type the angle brackets < or >